- What Terrorists Want - A short paper by Dr.Louise Richardson, containing extracts from her book of the same name.
News from around the world
- Top MI6 spy: Terrorism less serious than bird flu - A former Assistant Chief of the UK's shadowy Secret Intelligence Service (SIS, aka MI6) has played down the threat of jihadi terrorism, saying that other dangers are more serious. The ex-spy also said that global counterterrorism database plans were "unlikely ever to succeed".
Source: The Register [12th Feb 2009]
- USA needs nuclear explosion to turn the world into dictatorship - Is the United States going to put dictatorship into effect under the guise of the anti-terrorist struggle? What may trigger another major transformation in 2009? The answer is obvious: another 9/11 in the USA.
Source: Pravda [28th Dec 2008]
- WMD Attack In U.S. Likely By 2013 - The United States can expect a terror attack using nuclear or more likely biological weapons before 2013, reports a bipartisan commission in a study briefed Tuesday to Vice President-elect Joe Biden. It suggests that the Obama administration bolster efforts to counter and prepare for germ warfare by terrorists.
Source: CBS News [2nd Dec 2008]
- Australian PM Kevin Rudd - "Nuke strike would make 9/11 insignificant" and other weird warnings - Over the last 72 hours there has been a strange melange of cryptic messages leaked from world political leaders about what could be in store for America over the next few months.These predictions of impending doom come from England, France, Australia and the United States. In each case there has been a press releases or news expose’ predicting huge and building threats emerging from faceless enemies in shadowy places.
Source: Daily Newscaster [4th Nov 2008]
- Israeli terrorism expert: Suicide bombing attacks coming to US within months - Juval Aviv was the Israeli Agent upon whom the movie 'Munich' was based. He was Golda Meir's bodyguard - she appointed him to track down and bring to justice the Palestinian terrorists who took the Israeli athletes hostage and killed them during the Munich Olympic Games. Aviv says the next terrorist attack here in America is imminent and will involve suicide bombers and non-suicide bombers in places where large groups of people congregate. ( i.e., Disneyland, Las Vegas casinos, big cities (New York, San Francisco, Chicago, etc.) and that it will also include shopping malls, subways in rush hour, train stations, etc., as well as rural America this time (Wyoming, Montana, etc.). The attack will be characterized by simultaneous detonations around the country (terrorists like big impact), involving at least 5-8 cities, including rural areas. Aviv says terrorists won't need to use suicide bombers in many of the larger cities, because at places like the MGM Grand in Las Vegas, they can simply valet park a car loaded with explosives and walk away.
Source: War Without End blog [26th Oct 2008]
- UK terror strategy to be updated - The government is updating its counter-terrorism strategy to focus more on preventing the radicalisation of Muslims, the BBC has learned. Officials are increasingly aware of a threat from loners unconnected to al-Qaeda who have become radicalised. A top priority for the government's strategy, known as Contest, will be reducing the supply of terror recruits. Working with local communities and dealing with the role of the internet will be key to the updated strategy. The government's terrorist threat level has remained pegged at its second highest rating - severe - since last summer.
Source: BBC News [3rd Oct 2008]
- Spies Warn That Al Qaeda Aims for October Surprise - In the aftermath of two major terrorist attacks on Western targets, America's counterterrorism community is warning that Al Qaeda may launch more overseas operations to influence the presidential elections in November. Call it Osama bin Laden's "October surprise." In late August, during the weekend between the Democratic and Republican conventions, America's military and intelligence agencies intercepted a series of messages from Al Qaeda's leadership to intermediate members of the organization asking local cells to be prepared for imminent instructions.
Source: New York Sun [24th Sep 2008]
- Was it an attack on US Marines? - Islamabad: Was there a top secret and mysterious operation of the US Marines going on inside the Marriott when it was attacked on Saturday evening? No one will confirm it but circumstantial evidence is in abundance.Witnessed by many, including a PPP MNA and his friends, a US embassy truckload of steel boxes was unloaded and shifted inside the Marriott Hotel on the same night when Admiral Mike Mullen met Prime Minister Yousuf Raza Gilani and others in Islamabad.Both the main gates (the entrance and the exit) of the hotel were closed while no one except the US Marines were either allowed to go near the truck or get the steel boxes unloaded or shift them inside the hotel. These steel boxes were not passed through the scanners installed at the entrance of the hotel lobby and were reportedly shifted to the fourth and fifth floors of the Marriott.
Source: Jang News (Pakistan) [21st Sep 2008]
- George W. Bush Blew the Biggest British Terror Investigation Ever to ScorePre-Midterm Election Political Points... - A year long investigation involving well over a thousand British agents had around 40 terrorists so completely covered that, as Suskind said, "They couldn't sneeze without making a file." But the British were patient. They were so tightly on top of the suspects that there was no chance the al-Qaeda members could blow up planes with liquid explosives, as they planned. The British agents knew that such a huge operation would require the personal go-ahead from the top leadership--Zawahiri or Osama bin Laden himself. Waiting would provide the direct link that would be admissible in public court and lock away these soulless miscreants forever.
But Bush couldn't wait. In the summer of 2006, with Republicans tanking in the pre-midterm election polls, Bush needed a deliverable to prove that his party was #1 on national security. He pushed Tony Blair to wrap up the investigation immediately, but Blair steadfastly refused. The British were on the cusp of busting the biggest al-Qaeda plot since 9/11, along with all of their top leadership.
So Bush went grumbling to Dick Cheney, who dispatched Jose Rodriguez, the director of operations at CIA, to Islamabad, where almost immediately, a Pakistani contact of the British bombers was arrested.
A shock was immediately sent to the British bombers, who knew their cover was blown. In the middle of the night of August 10, 2006, British police frantically busted and arrested as many suspects as they could. When the sun rose in America, the Bush Administration's media strategy was already in place.
And today, British courts were unable to convict any of the eight major suspects on the plane-bombing charges. Mohammed Gulzar, a man whom Scotland Yard described as a crucial figure in the plot, was acquitted and went free.
Source: The Huffington Post [9th Sep 2008]
- How the British security forces are helping a killer spy to rebuild his life - MI5 has rebuilt the life of a "killer spy" who was the British Army's highest- ranking double agent at the heart of the IRA, and a man implicated in dozens of murders. Freddie Scappaticci was exposed by the Sunday Herald in May 2003 as the infamous double agent codenamed Stakeknife. The Sunday Herald has now uncovered how Scappaticci has made millions in a taxpayer-funded resettlement package which was put in place after his cover was blown.
Source: Sunday Herald [31st Jul 2008]
- Student researching al-Qaida tactics held for six days - A masters student researching terrorist tactics who was arrested and detained for six days after his university informed police about al-Qaida-related material he downloaded has spoken of the "psychological torture" he endured in custody. Despite his Nottingham University supervisors insisting the materials were directly relevant to his research, Rizwaan Sabir, 22, was held for nearly a week under the Terrorism Act, accused of downloading the materials for illegal use. The student had obtained a copy of the al-Qaida training manual from a US government website for his research into terrorist tactics.
Source: The Guardian [27th May 2008]
- UK Official: Terror Threat Growing - Looks like certain people in the UK government are intent on keeping the "threat of terror" myth alive, with which to impose more erosion of liberty.... - British anti-terror officials are monitoring 30 terrorism plots and some 2,000 people as the threat against the country continues to grow, Britain's Home Secretary said in a newspaper interview.Jacqui Smith's warning came as she argued for an extension to the amount of time authorities are allowed to hold terror suspects without charge.
Source: Associated Press [15th Apr 2008]
- M15 in terrorist checks on 800 killer virus labs - MI5 and anti-terrorist police are carrying out secret background checks on thousands of scientists amid fears that Al Qaeda is trying to infiltrate British research laboratories to obtain deadly viruses. The vetting, which includes checks on family backgrounds, political views and associates, is part of a review of some 800 laboratories in hospitals, universities and private firms where staff have access to incurable viruses such as ebola.
Source: Daily Mail [30th Mar 2008]
- Lessons in Jihad as secret terror manual translated by MI5 is made public by America - The amazing series of events that led to an Al Qaeda terrorist manual becoming freely available on the internet can be revealed today. Only last week a terror suspect was jailed in Britain for having a copy of it and told that its possession was a "serious criminal offence". But the deadly document, described as a Declaration of Jihad, is a public record in the US - after being translated from Arabic and typed up for MI5, passed to the American authorities and then declassified by the Department of Justice.
Source: Daily Mail [16th Mar 2008]
- Caution - FBI fit-ups of Muslim patsies in progress - The trial of ex-Navy signalman Hassan Abu-jihaad took merely a week, ending with the bang of a one-day deliberation in which Connecticut jurors found the man guilty, sending him over for providing material support to terrorists.
Source: The Register [7th Mar 2008]
- Airport security fears after investigators blow hole in plane's fuselage using liquid explosives - Serious questions over airport security were raised last week by an experiment which found bomb components could be smuggled on to a plane.
Source: Daily Mail [3rd Mar 2008]
- One has to laugh.... Border force to shut at weekends - Officers in Britain’s new border force have been told they should not arrest illegal immigrants and foreign criminals at weekends or on bank holidays. To cut costs, the new Border and Immigration Agency (BIA) has told them only a minimum number of staff should be on weekend duty to answer essential calls.
Source: The Times [2nd Mar 2008]
- Death of the ‘original Bin Laden’ - Western intelligence agencies will be breaking out the champagne to celebrate the news that Imad Mughniyeh, military commander of the Lebanese Shia militant group Hezbollah and one of the world's most wanted terrorists, has been killed.
Source: The First Post [14th Feb 2008]
- Whitehall draws up new rules on language of terror - A new counter-terrorism phrasebook has been drawn up within Whitehall to advise civil servants on how to talk to Muslim communities about the nature of the terror threat without implying they are specifically to blame.
Source: The Guardian [4th Feb 2008]
- Europe's anti-terror laws blocked 'because Holyrood not consulted' - MPS have blocked plans to adopt new EU proposals on terrorism because ministers failed to consult the Scottish Government, The Scotsman has learned.
Source: The Scotsman [10th Jan 2008]
- U.S. Checking al Qaeda Claim of Killing Bhutto - While al Qaeda is considered by the U.S. to be a likely suspect in the assassination of former Pakistani Prime Minister Banazir Bhutto, U.S. intelligence officials say they cannot confirm an initial claim of responsibility for the attack, supposedly from an al Qaeda leader in Afghanistan.
Source: ABC News blog [28th Dec 2007]
- al Qaeda claim responsibility for Bhutto assassination - An Al-Qaida leader based in Afghanistan has claimed responsibility for the assassination of former Pakistan PM Benazir Bhutto, whom he described as "the most precious American asset."
Source: Times of India [28th Dec 2007]
- Bali bomber warns: Australia is next - One of the key Bali Bombers has issued a chilling warning from his death row prison cell, warning Australia "will be down next year".
Source: Australia News [24th Nov 2007]
- Control Orders under scrutiny again - The Government was this morning ordered to partially rethink itscontroversial control order regime that restricts the activities of terrorsuspects.Britain's most senior judges in the House of Lords ruled that the mostdraconian power - an 18-hour home curfew - was in breach of the human rightto liberty. But they said that a 12-hour curfew was acceptable.
Source: The Times [31st Oct 2007]
- Claims of secret CIA jail for terror suspects on British island to be investigated - Allegations that the CIA held al-Qaida suspects for interrogation at a secret prison on sovereign British territory are to be investigated by MPs, the Guardian has learned. The all-party foreign affairs committee is to examine long-standing suspicions that the agency has operated one of its so-called "black site" prisons on Diego Garcia, the British overseas territory in the Indian Ocean that is home to a large US military base.
Source: The Guardian [19th Oct 2007]
- Leak Severed a Link to Al-Qaeda's Secrets - A small private intelligence company that monitors Islamic terrorist groups obtained a new Osama bin Laden video ahead of its official release last month, and around 10 a.m. on Sept. 7, it notified the Bush administration of its secret acquisition. It gave two senior officials access on the condition that the officials not reveal they had it until the al-Qaeda release. Within 20 minutes, a range of intelligence agencies had begun downloading it from the company's Web site. By midafternoon that day, the video and a transcript of its audio track had been leaked from within the Bush administration to cable television news and broadcast worldwide.
Source: Washington Post [11th Oct 2007]
- Report says war on terror is fuelling al Qaeda - Six years after the September 11 attacks in the United States, the "war on terror" is failing and instead fuelling an increase in support for extremist Islamist movements, a British think-tank said on Monday [8th Oct 2007]
Source: Reuters [8th Oct 2007]
- Charred chilli dip causes terror alert - When a noxious cloud sent shoppers running in panic on the streets of London, emergency services feared the capital was under chemical attack.
Source: The Guardian [3rd Oct 2007]
- How can 'terrorism' be condemned while war crimes go without rebuke? - Washington's partners in this hypocritical war on terror are given free rein to wreak their own brutal, illegal violence. As if we didn't know it already, the conflict in Lebanon shows that truth and war don't mix. All parties to the tragedy of the Middle East resort to disinformation and historical falsification to bolster their case, but rarely has an attempt to rewrite the past occurred so soon after the fact. Israeli ministers and their supporters have justified the bombardment of Lebanon as "a matter of survival". Total war has been declared on Israel, so Israel is entitled to use the methods of total war in self-defence. This would be reasonable if it were true, but it isn't. It's completely false.
Source: The Guardian [19th Sep 2007]
- Terrorist Threat Risk Leaked on P2P Net - Officials at consulting firm Booz Allen Hamilton Inc. are looking into how a Fox News reporter acquired a confidential terrorist threat assessment on Chicago over a public file-sharing network.
Source: PC World [18th Sep 2007]
- Vital Lockerbie evidence 'was tampered with' - The key piece of material evidence used by prosecutors to implicate Libya in the Lockerbie bombing has emerged as a probable fake.
Source: The Observer [16th Sep 2007]
- Steel band were taken off flight on suspicion of being terrorists - When five members of the Caribbean Steel International Orchestra queued toboard their Ryanair flight home from Sardinia last New Year's Eve, theyhad reason to be content. The London-based steel band had just beenlavished with critical praise for its performance at a world musicfestival on the Italian island.But that satisfaction evaporated rapidly shortly after the Britishmusicians took their seats for the two-hour journey to Stansted airport.They found themselves being escorted off the plane by armed police onsuspicion of being terrorists, seemingly for the offence of reading outthe football scores to a blind colleague.
Source: The Independent [14th Sep 2007]
- Terrorism Watch List Is Faulted For Errors - The government's master watch list of known or suspected terrorists continues to be marred by errors and inconsistencies that can obstruct the capture of terrorists or cause innocent people to be detained by U.S. authorities, the Justice Department 's inspector general said yesterday. As one of the most powerful intelligence tools created by the Bush administration after the 2001 attacks, the watch list is used to screen about 270 million people a month and its content can determine whether people are allowed to fly on airplanes or detained after routine traffic stops.
Source: Washington Post [7th Sep 2007]
Links to third-party websites