History & Archaeology
News from around the world
- Author: My best-selling Holocaust book is a hoax - A Belgian writer has admitted that she made up her best-selling "memoir" depicting how, as a Jewish child, she lived with a pack of wolves in the woods during the Holocaust, her lawyers said Friday.
Source: CNN [1st Mar 2008]
- Hoover Planned Mass Jailing in 1950 - A newly declassified document shows that J. Edgar Hoover , the longtime director of the Federal Bureau of Investigation , had a plan to suspend habeas corpus and imprison some 12,000 Americans he suspected of disloyalty.
Source: New York Times [24th Dec 2007]
- Grim find under KGB headquarters - Moscow: Construction workers have found the remains of 34 bodies and a rusty pistol buried beneath a building on a street connecting the old KGB headquarters to Red Square, authorities said.
Source: The Sidney Morning Herald [4th Oct 2007]
- The Death of History in Iraq - 2 ,000-year-old Sumerian cities torn apart and plundered by robbers. The very walls of the mighty Ur of the Chaldees cracking under the strain of massive troop movements, the privatisation of looting as landlords buy up the remaining sites of ancient Mesopotamia to strip them of their artefacts and wealth. The near total destruction of Iraq's historic past – the very cradle of human civilisation – has emerged as one of the most shameful symbols of our disastrous occupation.
Source: CounterCurrents [24th Sep 2007]
Links to third-party websites
- Institute for Historical Review - a research and publishing centre dedicated to promoting greater public awareness of the past, and especially socially-politically relevant aspects of 20th Century history.