Welcome to the Pancakes FAQ
How to make pancakes:-
- Take 1 egg and beat it up a bit.
- Add flour (plain is best, but don't matter) until egg has taken as much as it can, and the whole lot gets stuck to the end of your fork.
- Add a little milk and blend in.
- Add a bit more, and blend in.
- Gradually add milk and blend until it's about 1/2pint. Should be enough for 5 pancakes.
- Frying pan must be really hot, but only small amount of oil/lard or whatever. Add stuff to pan and swish around quick to cover pan. Turn over when the top goes solid. If you can eat one pancake before the next one is ready, the pan is not hot enough.
Lemon juice, Castor* sugar, Maple syrup (but not all together!)
- 1st pancake falls apart. This is normal. Pan not hot yet.
- 2nd one falls apart. Too much milk in mix. Make another mix. Adding flour now just gives you lumps.
- Goes solid before you can swish it round the pan. Use both hands, and stop eating the last one.
- Lumps. Didn't make the egg/flour mixture nice and solid - this is what stops it going lumpy.
- One big lump, swimming in a plate of thin stuff. Did not incorporate milk a bit at a time. Follow the instructions.
- A mess in the kitchen. Normal, due to speed and coordination required being inhibited by alcohol.
- Black smoke. Now you are getting the idea. The pan must be HOT.
- Oil goes up in flames before you have got the mixture in the pan. Be quicker getting the mix in.
- Can't see across kitchen. You are drinking the right stuff too.
* - but not the reddish-brown unctuous bitter 'castor' obtained from the anal glands of beavers.
Add a comment to this article
I am sorry to report that no further comments are to be left for articles here. We thank you for past comments. This feature has been disabled.